Just a few historical highlights for you… Please note that this list is in day-of-the-month order and so will not be in year order. Also, I don’t have something for every day, just a few little tidbits. I hope you enjoy!
- December 2, 1823 – the ”Monroe Doctrine” introduced by President James Monroe
- December 5, 1791 – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart dies age 35
- December 5, 1901 – Walter Elias Disney is born in Chicago, Illinois – December 15, 1966 – he dies in in Burbank, California
- December 7, 1941 – attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii – WW II
- December 16, 1770 – Ludwig van Beethoven is born in Bonn
- December 16, 1773 – the Boston Tea Party took place – American colonials in disguise (poorly disguised but they didn’t think so) took tea from British ships and threw it overboard as a political protest
- December 16, 1775 – Jane Austen is born
- December 19, 1843 – Charles Dickens published A Christmas Carol
- December 21, 1620 – After several weeks of exploring, pilgrims on the Mayflower go ashore at what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts
- December 22, 1858 – Giacomo Puccini is born in Lucca, Tuscany
- December 25, 1821 – Clara Barton (Clarissa Harlowe Barton) is born – nurse in the American Civil War and founder of the American Red Cross in 1881
- December 25, 336 A.D. – Although the exact day of the year is unknown, beginning in 336 during the reign of Roman Emperor Constantine, December 25th has been celebrated by many as the day of the birth of Jesus
I hope you have enjoyed my little snippet of history. A couple of days had a few too many interesting things to add to the list. Apparently, the month of December is very busy historically.
“I go into my library and all history unrolls before me.”Alexander Smith